For all lovers of Victoria Sponge
30- 60 minutes
350 grams/ 12 oz butter
350 grams/12 oz caster sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
200 grams/7 oz self raising flour, plus extra for dusting
600 mls thickened cream, whipped
2 punnets of fresh strawberries, sliced to decorate layers
Icing sugar to top
Strawberry jam, to spread on cake first
- Preheat oven to 180 C/ 160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease 2 x 20cm/8″ spring-form cake tins with butter and dust with flour.
- In a electric mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated in to the mixture before adding the next. Add a little flour to the mixture if it starts to curdle.
- Beat in the vanilla, then fold in the flour until just combined.
Divide the mixture equally between the prepared cake tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake the cakes in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden- brown and risen. A skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes should come out clean. If it doesn’t , return them to the oven for a further 5 minutes and check again.
- Turn out the cakes onto a wire rack and set aside to cool completely.
- For decorating this sponge, you whip some cream. Spread strawberry jam on sponge, then whipped cream and add sliced strawberries.