A great tasting cake with orange and poppy seed. Great with your favourite beverage.
3 small oranges, finely grated zest
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup orange juice
125 grams unsalted butter, softened
- Orange Icing
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 – 1 cup icing sugar
finely grated zest
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a round 8″ cake tin or 22cm x 11cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- Finely grate the zest of the orange, then juice. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in orange zest and poppy seeds.
- Fold in flour and coconut until well combined. Add yoghurt and orange juice. Stir well.
- Spoon into prepared tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Insert a skewer into the centre of the and if it comes out clean it is cooked. If you need to bake it more do it for 3 minute interval. Leave to cool in tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a cake rack until cooled.
- Orange Icing
- In a small bowl add icing sugar a bit at a time. Add the orange juice and mix both until you get a smooth icing . Keep adding the orange juice until you get a nice orange flavoured icing. You may not use all the orange juice, but that is okay, just make it to your liking. If you need to add more icing sugar do this a little at a time too. Spread icing over the top of the cake and sprinkle zest over icing. Allow icing to set.