Coffee Syrup Cup Cake
This is the same lovely coffee flavoured cake that has a great tasting coffee flavour, but made into large cup cakes and decorated with a smooth chocolate Swiss meringue butter cream.
3 tsp dry instant coffee
1 Tbsp hot water
3/4 cup (165 grams ) caster sugar
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
150 grams butter, melted
- Coffee Syrup
3/4 cup (165 grams) caster sugar
3/4 cup ( 180 mls) water
3 tsp instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 160 C fan forced. Grease a large 6 pan muffin tin.
- Combine coffee and water in a small jug , stir until dissolved.
- Beat eggs in small bowl with electric mixer for about 8 minutes or until thick and creamy, gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved between additions. Fold in sifted flour and cocoa, then butter and coffee mix. Pour mix into pan.
- Bake for 17 minutes. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. While cakes are still warm, reserve 1/4 cup of the syrup and drizzle the rest over the cakes.
- Make Syrup
- In a small pan stir ingredients over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, transfer to a heat proof jug.
- I decorated these cupcakes with a Swiss Meringue Buttercream. You just follow the directions to make this smooth buttercream.
- To flavour your buttercream add what ever colours or flavours you like. I melted dark chocolate and then add this to the buttercream, to give a chocolate buttercream topping.
- If you just want to make a simple chocolate icing you will need, 2 cups icing sugar, 2 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon butter, softened, 2 tablespoons of water and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix all together making sure there are no lumps and the icing is smooth. Than ice top of cup cakes.