These are an old favourite that is still a winner. Mashed potatoes shaped into rosettes.
Crisp and lightly browned on the outside and silky smooth on the inside.
750 grams Sebago potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp butter
pinch of white pepper
Melted butter, extra for greasing
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp water
salt to season
- Place potato in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until very tender.
- Drain and return to the pan. Cook over thigh heat, shaking the pan, for 1 minute or until the moisture has evaporated.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potato until smooth. Use the back of a spoon to press the potato through a fine sieve into a bowl. Stir in the butter and egg yolks. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Brush a baking tray with extra butter to lightly grease. Line with baking paper.
- Place potato in a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm fluted nozzle. Pipe 16 rosettes onto the prepared tray.
- Combine the extra egg yolks and water in a bowl. Brush over the potato rosettes. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve straight away.