Pork and veal meatballs in spaghetti
An easy meatball dish with spaghetti that can be made in next to no time. Great for a midweek meal.
- 500 g pork and veal mince
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 375 g spaghetti
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 700 g jar tomato passata
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves plus extra to serve grated parmesan
- Combine mince, breadcrumbs, parmesan, egg, herbs and half the garlic in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Sprinkle with flour. Toss to coat.
- Cook pasta in a large stockpot of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat half the oil in same large stockpot over a medium to high heat. Add meatballs in two batches. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 4 minutes, or until browned and almost cooked. Remove. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in same pot over a low heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, until soft. Add passata and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Return meatballs to pot. Simmer, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Stir in spaghetti and basil. Garnish with basil .