Date and Walnut Teabread
A lovely tea bread with dates and walnuts is a lovely combination. The tasty loaf is light and has a slight hint of lemon.
- 100 grams /3 1/2 oz dates. chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 100 ml /3 1/2 fl oz hot tea
- 40 grams / 1 1/2 oz unsalted butter
- 70 grams/2 1/2 oz light brown sugar
- 1 small egg
- 125 grams/1 oz walnuts, chopped, walnut halves to decorate
- 125 grams self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.Gas Mark 4. Grease a 450g/1 lb loaf tin and line the base with non stick baking paper.
- Place the dates, baking soda and lemon zest in a bowl and add the hot tea. Leave to soak for 10 minutes until softened.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg. Stir in the date mixture.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, then fold in the walnuts. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and spread evenly. Top with walnut halves.
- Bake cake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until risen, firm and golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out the loaf and finish cooling on a wire rack.