I love this type of Thai dish it is so easy to make and you can have it as a seafood or meat dish or a meat free dish. The choice is all yours.
Ingredients pad thai sauce
1 cup tamarind paste
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fish sauce
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
400 grams chicken pieces, cut into bite sized
150 grams green prawns, peeled and leave tails on
3 spring onions, sliced
1 carrot, cut thin sticks
1/2 red capscium, thinly sliced
1/2 brown onion, sliced
1 cup bean sprouts
1 200 gram packet Pad Thai noodles
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until sugar is dissolved, 2-3 minutes. Don’t let it reduce any further once sugar has dissolved or it won’t be the right consistency for making pad thai.
- Need to taste sauce and adjust to fit your taste.
If you like it more sweeter, add a bit more sugar.
If you prefer it salty, add a bit more soy sauce or fish sauce.
If you like a citrus taste, add some lime zest.
Make this sauce to suit your taste.
Store in a container in the fridge for 3 weeks.
- Rinse noodles thoroughly in warm water, drain and set aside.
- Slice your chicken and vegetables and set aside.
- Add seafood and meat to a hot and well oiled wok or fry pan and fry for 1 minute or until sealed. Add sliced onion and fry for a further minute.
- Add vegetables to pan and fry for 1 minute. Add prepared noodles and toss through. Add pad thai sauce and stir through until well mixed and meat is fully cooked. Serve immediately.
Serve with crushed peanuts and lime wedges if you like.