- 2¼ tsp active-dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup shortening
- veg oil for frying
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add sugar and salt, eggs, evaporated milk and blend well.
- Mix in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth.
- This is done in an electric mixer.
- Add shortening and then remaining flour.
- Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Roll dough out to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2 ½ squares.
- Fry in 180C hot oil. If beignets don’t pop up oil is not hot enough.
- Roll beignets in icing sugar while still hot.
Prep time -30 mins Cook time 30 mins Ready in 3 hours
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!