I made these with left over mashed potato and added this filling for these scrummy morsels.
Bacon and Chorizo Croquettes (My Version)
- 1 brown onion chopped fine
- 1 chorizo sausage sliced small
- 4 rashers bacon finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- potatoes left over mashed potato
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable oil shallow fry
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 60 grams butter
- 60 grams plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt to taste
- 2 eggs
- Firstly in a pan put 1 Tbsp of oil on med high heat, cook onion , bacon and chorizo till onion is softened and bacon and chorizo are browned and cooked.
- When done allow to cool.
- Once white sauce is cooled enough add 1/4 cup to the mashed potato, cooked bacon, chorizo and onion.
- Add 1/4 cup flour and season with salt. Mix with hands.
- I made these into golf sized balls. If time you could set these in the fridge to firm.
- To coat, roll balls in flour and shake off excess.
- Dip in beaten egg mix, then roll in panko breadcrumbs.
- Set aside and repeat until all are covered.
- With a large pan, add oil and heat on medium heat and shallow fry until balls are nice and golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with salad leaves and what ever sauce you like.
- Mix flour and butter and cook off flour for 1 minute.
- Stirring all the time as not allow it to brown. Add milk a little at a time and keep stirring with a whisk to get rid of any lumps.
- Keep adding milk until all gone and the sauce is nice and smooth and thickening. Add salt to taste and than set aside to cool.