A moist chocolate cake with a hint of coconut .
125 grams butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp coconut essence
1 1/2 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup milk
double cream to serve
Chocolate buttercream Ingredients
200 grams butter, chopped
200 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 160C fan forced. Grease a 6.5- cm-deep round cake pan. Line with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer , beat butter, sugar and coconut essence until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift half the flour and half the cocoa over butter mixture. Add half the coconut. Stir to combine. Repeat with the remaining flour, cocoa, coconut and milk. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top.
Bake for 55 minutes or until skewer inserted int he centre comes out clean. Stand in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
chocolate Buttercream Directions
- Place butter and chocolate in a glass or ceramic bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Beat mixture with a wooden spoon till smooth and spreadable.
- Using a serrated knife , cut cake in half crossways. Place bottom of cake on a plate. Spread buttercream on cake. Add top and spread remaining buttercream over top and side of cake. Serve with whipped cream.
- sliced chocolate coconut cake