This is a easy recipe which can be prepared ahead of time. It is very tasty.
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp five spice powder
1 Tbsp red onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp cooking sake
1 tsp sesame oil
4 chicken cutlets, bone in and skin on
1/2 of small cabbage, chopped
2 cups brown rice
- Combine the soy sauce, salt, five spice, red onion, garlic, oil, sake and sesame oil in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
Clean chicken and pat dry. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken cutlets and make sure to get under the skin. You can marinate over night or for 2 hours. I marinated for 40 minutes.
- Line a sheet pan with non stick foil or baking paper. The chicken should come right off the pan after roasting. Preheat oven to 190C and put them in the oven for 40 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, cook your rice in a rice cooker or pot and follow packet directions.
- Cut the cabbage into small squares and heat a wok or frying pan with a tablespoon of oil. About 15 minutes before chicken is cooked, stir fry cabbage for 10 minutes or less depending how soft you want your cabbage. Season with salt and pepper.
- After 40 minutes test chicken is cooked through. Stick a fork in the side. If the juices run clear, it’s done. The chicken should be golden in colour. Plate and enjoy.