Coffee and Walnut Cake
A coffee and walnut cake with a great tasting coffee flavour with the addition of walnuts. Makes for a nice tasting cake for anytime with a coffee.
- 175 grams /60z unsalted butter
- 175grams/6oz light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 175grams/6oz self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 115g/4oz walnut pieces, walnut halves to decorate
- 115g/4oz unsalted butter
- 200g/7oz icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp strong black coffee
- 1/tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark4. Grease and line the bases of two 20cmx8inch sandwich tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Can mix with electric hand mixer or a stand mixer. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Beat in the coffee.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture, then fold in lightly and evenly with a metal spoon. Fold in the walnuts.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Beat together the butter and icing sugar, coffee and vanilla mixing until smooth and creamy.
- Use about half of the mixture to sandwich the cakes together, then spread the remaining frosting on top with a palette knife. Decorate with walnut halves.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!