My take on this chocolate Swiss Roll Cake
I found this recipe from a site called Foodess. The airy light and taste of a light chocolate sponge cake filled with fresh whipped cream and fresh chopped strawberries.
- For Cake
- 4 large eggs separated
- ½ cup + 1/3 cup granulated sugar divided use
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour 64 g
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder 35 g
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup milk
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- FOR CHOCOLATE CREAM FILLING
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line an 11×17″ sheet pan with parchment paper leaving an overhang on the short edges and grease the paper.
- Beat egg whites in a stand mixer with whisk attachment on medium speed until foamy. With the mixer running, gradually add 1/2 cup of the sugar, about a tablespoonful at a time, beating to incorporate before adding more. Increase speed to medium high and beat until medium-stiff peaks form. Scrape into a separate bowl and return bowl to the stand mixer (don’t bother washing it)
- Add egg yolks to stand mixer bowl with the sugar and beat with whisk attachment until creamy and lightened. Beat in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixer to stand mixer with yolks and beat on low speed to incorporate. Add 1/2 of the milk and beat on low again. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk (for a total of 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 additions of milk). Only beat until just combined.
- Remove mixer bowl from stand mixer. Add egg whites and use a large silicone spatula to fold them in (watch a quick YouTube video if you need a refresher on folding technique).
- Scrape batter onto prepared pan and spread evenly into the corners. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until it loses its shine and the centre feels slightly springy.
- Let cool a few minutes in the pan until you can handle the cake without burning your fingers. Roll the cake up in the parchment paper, starting with the short edge, and transfer the roll to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For chocolate cream filling:
- Whip cream on high speed of electric mixer with whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Sift in cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar and continue whipping until medium-stiff peaks form.
- To assemble:
- When cake is completely cold, gently unroll it on a work surface. Leave it on top of the parchment.
- Spread the chocolate cream filling evenly over the cake. Roll it back up (gently peeling it off the parchment this time) and place it seam-side down on a serving dish. (You can use a rimless baking sheet or pizza peel to transfer it if you’re worried about it breaking.)
- Trim away the less-than-pretty end slices and discard if desired. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate if not serving right away. (It’s easier to slice if you chill it for 2 hours.) Sprinkle the cake with confectioners’ sugar just before serving. Can be made 24 hours in advance.
- Note: chilling this cake overnight makes it easier to slice and the cake absorbs moisture from the filling. Consider making it a day before you plan to serve it.