Triple Layered Mousse
Prepare the caramel part first to allow it to cool completely before it is incorporated with the rest of the base
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz dark semi sweet chocolate
- Vanilla mousse
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 gelatin sheets soaked in 500ml cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Prepare the caramel- place the sugar and water in a medium heavy based saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Continue to cook until caramel in colour. Remove from the heat and add the salt, heavy cream and butter. Stir with a wooden spoon until completely smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- Chocolate – In a medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate until smooth. Remove from heat and let to cool to room temperature.
- Mousse base – In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until very pale. In a saucepan over medium heat bring the milk and vanilla extract to a boil. Slowly pour the milk into the yolks constantly whisking. Return back to the heat and cook until it coats the back of a spoon ( as if making crème anglaise). Add the softened gelatin and stir until melted completely into the cream. Let cool to room temperature. Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold into the cooled base. Divide the base into three equal portions (one will stay untouched).
- Assemble- add a couple of tbsp of the base to the caramel to lighten it a bit and stir with a spoon. Gently fold the rest of the mousse base into the caramel with a spatula. Do the same for the chocolate. Layer all three parts evenly into dishes or ramekins and refrigerate for 1 hour. These can be made a day ahead.