Lamb Koftas with tomato rice & lentils
- 500 grams lamb mince
- 1 brown onion grated
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 420 gram can lentils drained, rinsed
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 420 gram tin tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain greek style yoghurt
- 12 fresh basil leaves garnish for top
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Make spice mix. Place all ingredients in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place mince, onion, breadcrumbs, cinnamon, garlic, coriander and 1 1/2 tbsp of spice mix in a bowl. Using your hands , mix well to combine. Shape heaped tablespoons of mixture into ovals to make 16 koftas.
- Place brown rice with spice mix, tin tomatoes and 1 cup water or stock into a pan. Bring to the boil and then turn down heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add lentils to the rice and cook for a further 15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Take of the heat and leave in the pot.Mix with a fork so rice fluffs up.
- In a frypan, add oil on medium heat. Add koftas . Cook shaking pan so koftas brown all over for 10 mins or until cooked. Serve rice and lentils into a bowl and top with koftas and fresh basil leaves.
When I made this dish. I had no stock so used water and a tin of tomatoes. I also substituted coriander for fresh basil leaves. This is such an easy recipe to do mid week.