With this slice I added zest of two lemons and cut the sugar content for the topping to 1 cup instead of 1 1/3 cup. I love the taste of lemon.
- 150 grams unsalted butter chopped
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 1/3 cup plain flour
- Icing sugar to decorate
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp lemon rind finely grated
- 1 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/ 160 C fan forced. Grease a 3 cm deep, 16cm x 26 cm slice pan. Line with baking paper, allowing a 2 cm overhang on all sides.
- Place butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute or until melted. Set aside to cool. Stir in vanilla and sugar. Sift flours over butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until a soft dough forms. Transfer to prepared pan. Press into pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Set aside to cool.
- Make topping . Whisk eggs, lemon rind, flour and sugar together until smooth. Add lemon juice. Whisk to combine. Pour over base. Bake for 15 minutes or until just set. Cool completely in pan. Dust with icing sugar. Cut into slices. Serve.