This is a recipe from the Coles free booklet. Simple and easy recipe to do.Something different for Easter all the family will enjoy.
Hot Cross Donuts
- 3 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 tsp instant dried yeast
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 100 grams butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks lightly beaten
- canola oil for deep frying
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Make a well in the centre.
- Add warm milk, melted butter and egg yolks. Mix until dough comes together( it will be sticky) You can knead this by hand for 5 minutes or alternatively in an electric mixer with the dough hook attachment for 5 minutes.Do this until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in an lightly oiled bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap and a tea towel. Set aside for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down dough with your fist. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Roll out dough until 1 cm thick. Using an 6 cm cutter, cut 18 rounds from the dough and place on lined baking trays. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 25-30 minutes or until doughnuts have doubled in size.
- For the flour crosses, place flour in a small bowl and gradually add cold water, mixing until a smooth paste forms. Spoon flour paste into a small plastic bag. Push paste to one corner and snip end and then pipe a cross on the top.
- Pour canola oil in a large deep, heavy based saucepan one third full. Heat to 180 C on medium heat. (oil is ready when a cube of bread is dropped in it turns golden in 15 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, deep fry 1-2 doughnuts at a time in the hot oil for 45-60 seconds until golden and puffed. Place on paper towel.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar on a large plate and roll cooked donuts through the mixture. Repeat with the remaining donuts. Cool for 5 minutes. Place desired filling in a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm nozzle. Push nozzle into side of each warm donut and pipe into donuts.
- I also baked these hot cross donuts in the oven. They only seem to be good on the day you make them. Enjoy the either the deep fried or baked.