Balinese Chicken curry
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillets cut into cubes
- 2 large ripe tomatoes chopped
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- steamed jasmine rice to serve
- 1 large brown onion coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup skinned raw peanuts toasted
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 long red chilli caorsely chopped
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground fennel, cumin, tumeric, cinnamon,cardamon,
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Add the spice paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the chicken and cook, tossing, for 2 minutes or until chicken is coated in spice mixture.
- Add the tomato and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until almost cooked through.
- Add the coconut milk and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until cooked through and sauce thickens slightly.
- Add the lime juice and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with steamed jasmine rice, if desired.
- To make the spice paste, place the onion, peanuts, garlic, ginger, chilli, water, coriander, cumin, fennel, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process until a smooth paste forms.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!