1 kg flank steak, skirt steak, cut into 1 inch chunks
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup dry sherry
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
2 medium green capscium, cut into 1 inch squares
1 large red capscium cut into 1 inch squares
1 medium onion , cut into 1 inch slices
2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
3 scallions, white part only
4 Tbsp peanut oil, or canola oil
salt to taste
- Combine beef, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce , and 1 tablespoon of dry sherry in a bowl and toss to coat. Let marinate for at least 20 minutes at room temperature and up to 3 hours.
- Meanwhile , combining remaining soy sauce with the corn starch and stir with a fork to form a slurry. Add remaining sherry, chicken stock, sesame oil, sugar, and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine peppers and onions in a bowl and set aside. Combine garlic, ginger and scallions in a bowl and set aside.
- On high heat in a non stick wok. Add oil and heat until smoking. Add beef and cook, stirring and tossing until beef is lightly browned, but still pink, about 1 minute. Continue to cook all beef and then transfer beef to a large bowl.
- Wipe out wok, add 1 tablespoon of oil to wok and cook peppers and onion and cook for about 1 minute. Add cooked vegetables to the beef.
- Return wok to high heat until smoking. Return beef and vegetables to wok and add garlic, ginger,scallion mixture. Cook, tossing and stirring until fragrant and all ingredients are coated in sauce and cook until lightly thickened, about 30 seconds.Carefully transfer to a serving platter and serve.
- I served this with brown rice and sesame seeds on top.