Great tasting date and walnut loaf.
100 grams/ 3 1/2 oz pitted dates, chopped
1/2 tsp baking soda
finely grated rind of lemon
100 mls / 3 1/2 fl oz hot tea
40 grams/1 1/2 oz unsalted butter
70 grams / 2 1/2 oz brown sugar
1 small egg
125 grams self raising flour
25 grams/ 1 oz walnuts, chopped
walnut halves to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 350 F/Gas Mark 4. Line a 1 lb loaf tin and line the base with non stick baking paper.
- Place the dates, baking soda and lemon rind in a bowl and add the hot tea. Leave to soak for 10 minutes until softened.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg. Stir in the date mixture.
- Fold in the flour, then fold in the walnuts. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and spread evenly. Top with walnut halves.
- Bake in pre heated oven for 35-40 minutes or until risen, firm and golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out the loaf and finish cooling on a wire rack.