This is my version of a tasty spicy beef pie with grated cheese on top.
1 kg of beef mince
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red chilli, chopped finally with the seeds
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
8 sweet piquante peppers, finely chopped
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
3 Tbsp tomato paste
2- 3 tsp cornflour
1 Tbsp water
1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
Store brought puff pastry
store brought short crust pastry
egg yolk, lightly beaten, to brush on top of pies
- Add mince to a large fry pan on high heat. Cook mince till browned, about 10 minutes. Add onion, garlic, peppers and chilli. Stir until combined and onion softens.
- Add spice mix and allow to cook for 1 minute.
Add mince back to the fry pan and than add the tomato paste, cook till the paste is incorporated into the mince mixture. Add the water and bring to the boil. Turn down heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until some of the water has reduced.
- Make a slurry with the corn flour and water and stir it into the mince mixture to thicken. Once thickened, remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- With your pastry, if using individual pie tins, cut out rounds to fit the tin. Cut out tops to go on the top of the pies. Fill the pie casings with the mince mixture 2/3 full and top with grated cheese. Using your finger, rub water around the edge. Cover the with the cut out top and make sure to seal it, using a fork, to crimp the edges.
Lightly whisk the egg and brush over the pie tops.
- Pre heat oven to 200 C. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a nice golden brown on top.
Either eat these by themselves or like me serve them with mash potato and peas. Enjoy.