Beef Cannelloni with silver beet and white sauce
Love the taste of beef cannelloni, this is my take on a popular dish.
- 200 gram packet dried cannelloni tubes
- 500 grams beef mince
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 400 grams pasta sauce
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 stick celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tin 400 gram tin tomatoes
- 5 sliverbeet leaves roughly chopped
- 50 grams tasty cheese
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- 100 grams plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1cup tasty cheese, grated
- Peel and chop all vegetables.
- In a large saucepan, on high heat, add mince and cook till mince is all cooked. Add onion, garlic, celery, silver beet, tomato paste and tin tomatoes. Add lemon zest and juice of the lemon. Add 200 grams of the pasta sauce cook on medium for 30 minutes. Season to taste, than fill the cannelloni shells with the mince filling.
- Preheat oven to 180 C. In a baking dish, use some of the pasta sauce on the base of the dish. Add the filled cannelloni shells in one layer. Top off with the rest of the pasta sauce and some grated cheese. Bake in oven for 30 minutes until a golden colour and cheese is melted. Serve on a plate with a salad or on it’s own.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, add butter and melt. Add flour and mix together to make a rue.Add milk a bit at a time and mix with the rue and using a whisk, whisk until the sauce thickens and all the milk is used. Season with salt and pepper and taste. Add grated cheese to sauce , once cheese is all melted set a side.