Hot water crust pastry
I like to make hot water crust, when I don’t have store brought pastry on hand. I will generally make pies with any left over meals. For me there is nothing easier to have most ingredients already cooked and just a matter of putting fillings together that you enjoy.
- 340 grams plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp salt
- 80 grams butter
- 2 eggs, 1 for pastry and 1 to brush tops of pies
- 100 mls water
- In a saucepan add water and butter. Melt on low heat.
- Sift flour and salt
- Add butter and water mix to flour and salt mix. Add egg and mix. Knead all together until you have a smooth pastry. If pastry is too hot to handle, allow to cool for 5- 10 minutes. Shape into a disc and put in the fridge for 30 minutes until firm.
- Pre heat oven to 200C fan forced oven.