This is a gingernut biscuit that is not hard that it will break your teeth. They are nice and crispy with a hint of orange.
- 350 grams self-raising flour
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 125 grams butter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 75g golden syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- Pre-heat oven 160 C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift together flour, salt, ginger and baking soda into a large mixing bowl.
- Heat butter and golden syrup in a microwave bowl and microwave for about 30 sec bursts till butter is melted. Allow to cool slightly, then pour into dry ingredients. Add the egg and orange rind and mix thoroughly to form a dough.
- Using hands carefully shape into 30 even sized ball. Place the balls well apart to allow for the biscuit to spread, then flatten slightly with your fingers. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, then carefully transfer to a cake rack to cool.