Fig, walnut and apricot loaf
A dried fruit and nut wholemeal loaf
- 1 cup grams wholemeal flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp fast acting yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 180 mls water, lukewarm
- 1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Mix together the flours, yeast and salt. Add the oil, honey and warm water and mix so that it comes together. Tip dough out onto a floured surface and add the figs, apricots, and walnuts and knead into the dough till well distributed.
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes to stop it been too sticky. This bread needs less kneading, but a little will help. Lightly oil a a large bowl and put the dough inside, cover and put in a warm place for 1- 2 hours depending on how warm it is.
- Once it has risen, top the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knock it back. (press your fingers a few times to get out the excess bubbles).
- Dust a baking sheet with cornmeal or flour. Form the dough into an oval and place into loaf tin. Leave to rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven for 230C.
- Put loaf into oven and bake for 25 minutes or until loaf is brown and sounds hollow when you turn it over and tap the bottom.