The best way to enjoy a great tasting quiche, is to make sure that you get the short crust pastry right. Making sure that the pastry is right gives this a good base for a great tasting quiche. I think I have a way to go to perfect this shortcrust pastry, but it doesn’t stop me from baking this quiche. Not the best looking, but tastes great.
A bacon, tomato, cheese and onion Quiche
Short Crust Pastry
- 400 grams plain flour
- 299 grams butter
- 1 egg
- water if needed
- 200 mls double cream
- 200mls milk
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion sliced
- 200 grams streaky bacon or pancetta fired
- 2 tomatoes , sliced
- Preheat oven to 160C, Place the flour into a bowl, add the butter and salt, them rub between your fingers until mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Add the egg and mix with your fingers. Knead on a floured surface until smooth, wrap in glad wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Grease a 27cm tart tin and roll the pastry out to onto a lightly floured surface and use to line the tin.
- To make the filling, whisk together the eggs, cream and milk then season. Spread the filling all over the base. Pour the custard into the tart tin, sprinkle the cheese over the top and put in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Once cooked , let the quiche sit for 5 minutes and trim the edge of the pastry crust.
- Serve hot, warm or cold with a green salad.