A chocolate cake recipe that is quick, easy and delicious.
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup black cocoa ( if you don’t have black cocoa, just use all cocoa powder)
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk or what ever milk you like
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
250 gram dark or milk chocolate pieces, melted
- Preheat oven to 180C . Prepare a 24cm cake tin, by lining with baking paper and spray.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, black cocoa, baking soda, salt to a large bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine all dry ingredients until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Add batter to the prepared tin and smooth off the top. Bake in a classic bake or (fan bake) for 60 minutes. Cake is cooked when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool in tin for 15 minutes and then remove from tin and cool on a cake rack to cool completely. Once cake is cooled, wrap in glad wrap and foil and put in the fridge overnight.
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream you can make this delicious buttercream to decorate the layers and the whole cake. Add melted chocolate to the Swiss meringue buttercream to get a lovely chocolate buttercream.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to evenly slice the cake into 3 layers. Ice the layers with your buttercream or as I did I made a dark chocolate ganache and white chocolate ganache and piped a border on each layer and then covered with the buttercream.
- The cake batter will be very thin after adding the boiling water. This is correct and results in the most delicious and moist chocolate cake.