Shortbread Caramel Slice
The caramel slice is composed of a rich and crunchy shortbread base topped with a soft caramel layer and a milk chocolate coating. I know that everyone has their own version of a caramel slice. This is my slice recipe.
- 1 cup plain flour , sifted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 125 grams butter, melted
- 60 grams butter
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 125 grams milk chocolate bits
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a lamington tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl add the sifted flour, brown sugar, coconut and melted butter. Mix all until butter in incorporated. Take base and put into the lamington tin. Spread out the mix to all corners and flatten the top. Bake for 15 minutes until the surface is golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a nonstick pan over low heat, melt the butter, golden syrup and condensed milk. Allow to boil for 5 minutes with out stirring. Pour caramel onto the base and bake again for 10 minutes. Let it cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- For the chocolate topping, melt the chocolate, oil and butter in a microwave at 30 second intervals until butter is melted and the chocolate is smooth. When smooth, pour the chocolate over the caramel and let it set in the fridge for 2 hours. Slice and enjoy.