Who doesn’t love a creme caramel. This is a lovely lime and coconut cream with the tarty flavours of lime zest and lime juice with the taste of the coconut sugar. Delightfully light .
Lime and coconut caramel
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar, extra
- Preheat oven to 160/140C fan forced. Combine the coconut sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Simmer, without stirring, for 6 minutes or until mixture turns deep golden. Working quickly, divide among 4 150ml ramekins or what ever dishes you have. Set aside for 5 minutes or until set.
- Whisk egg yolks, egg and coconut milk in a large heatproof bowl. Place the lime juice and extra coconut sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves and simmer. Add to the egg mixture in a steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Transfer mixture to a jug. Carefully pour into the ramekins.
- Add the ramekins to a large roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to reach 2/3 up the side of the ramekins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until just set. Remove ramekins from the roasting pan and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Cover and place in the fridge for 4 hours to chill.
- Run a flat bladed knife around the inside edge of the ramekins. Turn out onto plates.