Caramel, pear and apple self saucing pudding
These sweet pear and apple puddings draped with caramel sauce make an uplifting dessert for the whole family – especially on a cool autumn or winter night.
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (180ml) boiling water
- 50 gram butter, chopped
- 425 gram can pear slices in natural juice, drained
- 4 sweet apples, sliced into small pieces
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 20 gram butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- icing sugar, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to moderate (180°C / 160°C fan-forced). Grease four shallow ovenproof dishes (1 1/4cup / 300ml capacity). Place dishes on an oven tray.
- Divide pear slices among dishes.
- Combine flour, sugar, butter and milk in a small bowl; mix well. Spread the mixture evenly over pear slices in dishes. Sprinkle batter with pecans.
- To make caramel sauce, combine all the ingredients in a medium heatproof jug; stir until sugar is dissolved and butter melted.
- Dust lightly with sifted icing sugar, serve immediately with cream or ice-cream, if desired.
- Pour caramel sauce slowly over the back of a spoon over mixture in dishes. Bake in a moderate oven for about 25 minutes or until firm.
- Pudding tipped out from ramekins with ice cream.