Donna’s Fried chicken
This is my take on fried chicken. To me better than kfc. No messy dripping fat and moist chicken inside. This is a recipe that takes time. You soak the chicken in a marinade of buttermilk, salt, cayenne pepper and Dijon mustard. Put chicken pieces and buttermilk marinade into a resealed bag and sit it in the fridge for up to 2-8 hours or longer if you can. Overnight is better.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp smoked ground paprika
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 5 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Whisk together buttermilk, Dijon mustard, salt & pepper and cayenne in a jug, and pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces, coat with the marinade, seal bag and then refrigerate in the fridge for 8 hrs or overnight.
- Once chicken is marinated. In another bag put all the dry ingredients and powdered spices and mix thoroughly. Dip chicken pieces into flour mix, then back into marinade and then once again into flour mix. Shake off excess flour and on a cake, rack put chicken to rest while waiting for the oil to heat up.
- When ready to cook chicken, combine the flour, baking powder, onion powder, garlic powder in a plastic bag. Shake to mix thoroughly. Transfer marinated chicken one piece at a time into the dry ingredients, shake to ensure complete coverage. After all pieces are coated, repeat the process till all chicken pieces are coated twice.
- In a large pot heat 5 cups of vegetable oil and with a thermometer check the temperature to 130 C not too hot. Cook chicken pieces for 20-30 minutes turning to achieve the golden colour. Chicken should be cooked when the juices run clear. If not put back in a cook a little longer. Enjoy this crisp beautiful tasting chicken my way.