Nice tasting meringues. A great treat for a morning tea or a dessert. Easy to make. You can use this recipe to make small meringues or a large pavlova. The cooking time is 1 hr-15 minutes for the pavlova.
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 tsp butterscotch essence or caramel essence
- 1 tsp malt vinegar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- whipped cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 115C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Spraying the tray with non-stick baking spray first helps the paper stay in place.
- In a large metal, porcelain or glass bowl, beat eggs whites until soft peaks form. A hand held electric mixer is ideal for this. Gradually add a teaspoon at a time of the caster sugar while beating, until the sugar has dissolved and all the caster sugar is used. The mixture should be getting glossy, thick and shiny with each addition. This should take 8-10 minutes. Beat in the coffee essence, vinegar and cornflour. Spoon mixture out into little blobs on to the prepared baking trays.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until dry and crisp. The meringues should lift off the paper easily. Cool on a wire rack and jam together with whipped cream when cold.