Easy Apple Turnovers
Homemade flakey pastry with cinnamon flavoured apple filling. From making the pastry to the assembly of the filling all done in less than 2 hours.
300 grams all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
170 grams unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
25 grams sugar
- Apple Filling
2 Apples, peeled, cored and diced small
50 grams granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp corn flour
60 mls water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and using your fingertips mix the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs. Add cold water , little at a time into the flour mixture and using a fork, gently toss and stir together until large lumps form and all the flour has been moistened. Pat the dough into a ball and wrap in gladwrap or baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- Apple Filling
- In a small saucepan, add the sugar, cinnamon, salt, cornflour and water and bring to a boil. When it starts to thicken, stop cooking and take it of the stove.
- Assemble the turnovers
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the dough to 1/8 ” thickness.
Cut the pastry dough sheet into what ever shapes you want, circles or long rectangles.
Spoon about 1-2m tablespoons of the filling onto each dough sheet and fold it in half so the other side comes down over the filling. Seal the edges, by using with a fork to seal in the filling. Transfer to the baking tray.
- Freeze for 20 minutes or refrigerate the assembled pies for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 400 F/200 C.
- In a small bowl, whisk together an egg and milk for the egg wash.
Remove the pies from the refrigerator and lightly brush each pie , then generously sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 400F/200 C for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 375F/190C and bake for another 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remember baking temperature will vary according to the thickness of the pastry.
- Remove the pies from the oven and let to stand to cool slightly. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.