Fried Chicken Pieces
This is a recipe for all of you who love fried chicken. It is easy to prepare and just as easy to make. With this recipe you could just use chicken wings, but I used a whole chicken which was cut down and the bones removed, which I found to be so easier to cook and the results are sticky flavourful chicken.
1 whole chicken, deboned and cut into bite sized pieces. Alternatively you could use 1 kg of chicken wings
vegetable oil for frying
3/4 cup cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
1 tsp white pepper
- Sweet and salty sauce
2 Tbsp fish sauce
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp lime juice
1-2 small red chillies, finely sliced (optional) you can add more chillies if you like it with a bit more heat
- Ina large bowl, place the chicken pieces or wings with all the marinade ingredients. Mix until well combined. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- Make the sauce, place the sauce ingredients into a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar has just dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Fill a wok or saucepan to about 1/3 capacity with vegetable oil. Heat over high heat. The oil is hot enough when a wooden spoon dipped into the oil forms little bubbles. Do not heat the oil too much because the chicken needs to time to cook with out burning.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornflour and baking powder in a large bowl. Coat each chicken piece or wing in the cornflour mixture, and tap off any excess. Cook the chicken in batches for about 15 minutes or until golden. Drain on a wire rack.
- Wait for a couple of minutes for the oil to reheat up again. This time you want the oil to be very hot. Add the chicken pieces or wings back into the oil and cook for another 2 minutes or until crispy and deeply golden.
- Just before serving, toss the chicken pieces in the sweet and salty sauce. Serve immediately.