Rice Pilaf with Pumpkin and pine nuts and pomegranate chicken Marylands.
This is my take on pilaf rice with pumpkin and pine nuts. Combined with pomegranate molasses chicken Maryland.
- 2 cups pumpkin, cut into 1/2 ” chunks
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 6 cardamon pods,
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 4 chicken Marylands, or drumsticks
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
- salt and white pepper to season chicken
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 cups hot chicken stock or water
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Warm olive oil in a heavy bottomed pot with a lid or Dutch oven, over medium high heat. Add pumpkin, season with salt, and cook stirring, until pumpkin begins to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside , leaving oil in pot.
- Add onion and cook, stirring until quite brown , about 5 minutes. Add pine nuts and let them brown a bit. Add mixed spice and cinnamon.
- Stir in the rice and cook for 2 minutes more, making sure the rice is well coated with oil. Add broth or water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil.
- In a pan with some oil in, brown your chicken until nice and browned, about 5 minutes. Brush liberally with the pomegranate molasses and put into the oven to cook for 25 minutes. Once cooked serve with the pilaf rice.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Taste stock and adjust salt, should be quite seasoned. Add reserved pumpkin , cover with a lid and cook over low heat until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let rice steam with lid on for 10-15 minutes. Add butter and fluff rice gently with a fork.