This is a bread full of flavour, using rye flour and wheat flour. Has earthy flavours and a hint of sweetness from the molasses.
2 cups lukewarm water
1 Tbsp yeast
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 cup powdered milk
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups rye flour
Extra purpose flour for dusting
- In a stand mixer add the water, yeast, molasses, oil and salt. Mix together.
- Add 2 cups of all purpose flour one cup at a time, until completely mixed through.
- Add 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time until completely mixed through.
- Next, add the rye flour, ½ cup at a time, mixing through thoroughly as you go. Don’t exceed 3 cups of rye flour.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead, adding additional all-purpose flour if needed. Knead for at least 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover it and allow it to sit in a warm place to rise. This should take approximately 2 hours.
- Once risen, punch dough down and do not allow it to rise again.
- Shape the dough into 2 free from loaves Leave to prove for ½ to ¾ hour.
- Pre-heat conventional oven to 200°c or fan-forced oven to 180°c.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 – 35 minutes.
- Rye flour can be quite dry and absorbs lots of water, if the dough looks too dry add more warm water until you have a soft dough.