A rainbow cake that looks good is colourful but also tastes really delicious. This rainbow cake makes the perfect special occasion cake.
- 24 oz cake flour
- 24 oz granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 10 oz egg whites, room temperature
- 6 oz vegetable oil
- 18 oz buttermilk, room temperature
- 12 oz unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- It is very important that all the room temperature ingredients listed above are at room temperature and measured by weight so that the ingredients mix and incorporate correctly.
- Heat oven to 335F/170C. Prepare 6 8″ round cake tins, if you don’t have six, than all you have to do is bake the cakes in the same tins until all the coloured batter is baked. This may take a little longer, but is so worth it in the end. Grease and line the bottoms of the tins with baking paper. Makes sure to cut out 6 circles.
- Combine 8 oz of the buttermilk and oil together and set aside.
- Combine the remaining buttermilk, egg whites and vanilla together, whisk to break up the eggs and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix 10 seconds to combine.
- Add your softened butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low until the mixture resembles coarse sand.- about 30 seconds.
- Add in your milk/ oil mixture and let mix until dry ingredients are moistened and them turn up the speed to setting 4 and let it mix for 2 minutes to develop the cake’s structure. If you don’t let your cake mix on this step your cake could collapse.
- Scrape your bowl and then reduce speed to low. Add in your egg white /milk mixture in three batches , letting the batter mix for 15 seconds between additions. Scrape down the sides again to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Divide batter into six bowls. Weigh 15 ounces of batter for each bowl.
- Colour each bowl with your food colours. 1/2 tsp for pink for the pink layer, 1/4 tsp yellow plus 1/4 tsp orange for orange layer, 1/2 tsp yellow for yellow layer, 1/4 tsp yellow plus 1/2 tsp green for green layer, 1/2 tsp blue for the blue layer, 1/4 tsp pink and 1.2 tsp purple for the purple layer.
- Bake your layer for 20-24 minutes or until the edges JUST start pulling away from the pan. Do not under-bake or the middle of the cake will collapse.
- Immediately tap pan firmly on countertop once to release the steam from the cake. This stops the cake from shrinking.
- Let cakes cool for 10 minutes inside the pan before flipping them out. The cake will shrink a bit and that is normal. Repeat this step for all layers.
- Freeze your cake layers for 30-60 minutes before trimming your cakes. Frost and fill with buttercream frosting.