Lemon blueberry buttermilk cake
A delicious and refreshing blueberry buttermilk cake, perfect for the summer yet you can enjoy all year round. Moist and packs a lot of flavour. Be hard to stop at one piece.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1 tablespoon to mix with the blueberries
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with baking paper and keep aside.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the lemon zest and mix well.
- In a bowl, add the whole egg, egg white, and vanilla beat until fluffy. Add the butter, sugar, and buttermilk beat together.
- Add the flour to the wet ingredients and beat on low to combine. Do not overmix.
- Add one tablespoon of flour to the blueberries and mix then add the blueberries to the batter and fold gently for few seconds.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Scatter some more blueberries on the top of the batter. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Take out the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate the cake with white icing, not too thick, so it runs down the sides and sets. Decorate with fresh berries on top and enjoy