Chocolate Swiss roll
A tasty chocolate swiss roll with just a layer of cherry jam and chocolate cream.
- 1/2 cup 100g caster sugar
- 1/2 cup 75g plain flour
- 1/4 cup 30g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- Cocoa powder to dust
- Chocolate cream
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar mixture
- 1 1/2 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 25 x 30cm Swiss roll pan with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the eggs and sugar and mixture is thick and pale and doubled in size.
- Sift the combined flour and cocoa powder over the egg mixture, pour the boiling water down the side of the bowl. Use a metal spoon or a balloon whisk to gently fold until almost combined. Pour into the prepared pan, gently smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the surface is dry to the touch.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle a large sheet of baking paper with extra caster sugar. Turn the hot sponge out onto the sugared paper. Remove the baking paper. Using the paper as a guide, roll the sponge from a short end into a log. Set aside to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate cream, use an electric mixer to whisk the combined cream, sugar and cocoa powder until firm peaks form.
- Unroll the sponge onto a clean work surface. Spread the chocolate cream over the sponge, leaving a 2cm boarder at the end. Roll sponge to enclose filling. Place on a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar to serve.