Lemon yoghurt cake
Lemon yoghurt cake with a tasty syrup.
- 3 eggs
- 220 grams caster sugar
- 2 whole lemons, juiced, plus 2 teaspoons finely grated zest
- 2 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup plain Greek style yoghurt
- 2 whole lemons, zest peeled into strips
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Grease pan, then line base and side of a 22cm springform pan.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk eggs and sugar for 4 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add lemon juice and zest, then whisk for a further minute.
- Stir in flour, yoghurt and oil until smooth, Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup, place zest in a saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and reserve zest. Combine sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons water in same saucepan and cook, stirring, over low-medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened, then return zest to pan. Makes 1/2 cup.
- Using a skewer, poke approximately 15 holes all over cake. Pour half the hot syrup over cake, allowing it to sink in, before adding more. Stand cake in pan for 30 minutes. Release from pan and drizzle with remaining syrup and serve with extra Greek yoghurt.