This paste comes from Northern India. It is a mild paste that has the flavours of tomato, dried spices and fresh coriander. You can use store brought or make your own paste with this easy recipe.
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 55 g 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 60 ml 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander I used fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 3 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 60 ml 1/4 cup vegetable oil ( I used canola oil)
- Place the cumin seeds in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Blend the cumin seeds, cashews , tomato puree , fresh coriander , garlic , coconut , garam masala , ginger , ground coriander , paprika and turmeric in a blender until coarsely chopped.
- Add the oil and blend, scraping down the side of the blender occasionally, until a smooth paste forms.