Chicken Yakitori & sesame cabbage salad
- ¼ cup sake
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin rice wine
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 8 thigh fillets cut into 2cm pieces
- Ground white pepper
- 1 bunch spring onions washed, trimmed into 3cm pieces
- Brown rice or whatever rice you like follow cooking directions
- Cabbage & sesame salad
- Green cabbage ½ finely shredded
- 1 carrot peeled cut into matchsticks
- 3 tsp sesame seeds toasted
- 1 teaspoon sesame paste
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Combine sake, soy sauce, mirin, sugar and ginger in a medium saucepan; place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the chicken and half the sake mixture in a bowl. Season with ground white pepper. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Meanwhile, to make the salad, combine the cabbage, carrot and sesame seeds in a bowl. Combine the sesame paste, vinegar and soy sauce in a jug and drizzle over salad. Gently toss to combine. Thread the chicken pieces and leek alternately onto the skewers.
- Preheat a grill on high. Place chicken skewers on an oven tray. Cook under grill, turning occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until brown all over and cooked through. Divide salad among serving plates. Serve with skewers, remaining sauce, and steamed rice, if desired.
Need to soak 12 bamboo skewers in water