Chocolate Roulade with mixedberry Swiss Meringue
- 200 grams dark chocolate melts
- 60 grams coffee shot
- 6 free range eggs seperate whites & yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- raspberry jam to spread over roulade
- mixed berries to serve
Mixed Berry Filling
- 200 grams frozen raspberies
- 200 grams frozen blackberries
- 55 grams caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 50 grams dark chocolate
- 80 ml thickened cream
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Grease and line a Swiss roll pan with baking paper. Combine the chocolate and espresso shot in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Use a metal spoon to stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. In a clean dry electric mixer, whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Add the coffee mixture and gently fold until just combined.
- Use a clean electric mixer to whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Add half the egg white to the coffee mixture and gently fold until just combined. Add the remaining egg white and gently fold until just combined.Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 25 minutes or until dry to the touch. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Cover with a piece of baking paper. Set aside for 30 minutes or until completely cool.
- To make the mixed berry filling. Combine the fruit, caster sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, star anise, water in a small pan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Once the fruit has broken down , add 2 tsp of cornflour and 2 tsp water. mix together and then mix into fruit mix until slightly thickened. Remove star anise from the fruit and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Make the swiss meringue butter cream recipe from the recipe index. Mix the cooled fruit into the buttercream.
- Uncover the cake. Place a clean piece of baking paper on a clean surface. Dust baking paper with cocoa powder. Turn the Roulade onto the cocoa dusted paper. Remove baking paper from the top.Spread the cream mixture evenly over the top. Starting from the short end, roll up the Roulade to enclose the filling. Place the Roulade seam side down on a tray. Melt the chocolate and cream until chocolate melted. Drizzle chocolate over Roulade and decorate with fresh berries. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
Swiss meringue butter cream recipe is in the recipe index. If you don't want to make the Swiss meringue butter cream, then whip thicken cream and add fruit and mix gently until combined.