Mixed Berry Tart with creme Patisserie
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 125 grams butter chilled, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp chilled water
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter
- fresh berries decorate top of tart.
- Place flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and water and process until mixture just comes together. Turn on to a lightly floured surface and knead until just smooth. Shape into a disc and cover with cling wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured surface to 3 mm thick circles. Line 4 small tart cases with removable bottoms. Line tart cases. Trim edges. Rest in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Take tart cases from the fridge. Cut out a circle of baking paper and add baking beans and blind bake for 10 minutes. Remove weights and paper and bake for 10 minutes or until just golden.
- Cream egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch together. Heat milk in a saucepan, bring to the boil. Remove from heat and add little at a time to the egg mixture, until all incorporated. Return egg mixture back to the saucepan and stirring with a whisk continuously on medium heat until creme patisserie is thick. Remove from heat and add vanilla, then add butter and mix until butter is melted. Pour into a clean container and cover with cling wrap and allow to cool completely.
- Assembling tart. Have fresh berries ready. Add creme patisserie to tart case and smooth top. Decorate top with what ever fresh berries you have.