An old favourite when I was growing up. Simple and easy cake, full of taste.
- 225 grams butter softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 tsp orange rind finely grated
- 1 tsp lemon rind finely grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 11.5cm x 20cm loaf pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending the paper 2cm from the edge on the long sides.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and orange and lemon rind until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Sift half the flours over mixture. Fold until just combined. Add half the milk. Fold until just combined. Repeat with remaining flours and milk. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth surface.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.