Kakiage ( Prawn & vegetable fritters)
- 1/2 cup plain flour seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg yolk
- 125 ml iced water
- 7 medium green prawns peeled, deveined, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled, cut into match sticks
- 1 sml white onion halved, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- vegetable oil to deep fry
- Place combined flour in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add egg yolk and water. stir until just combined. Add the prawn, carrot, onion and shallot. stir until just combined.
- Add oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 5cm. Heat to 170°C over medium-high heat (when oil is ready, a cube of bread turns golden in 20 seconds). Add three 80ml (1/3-cup) portions of mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. repeat with remaining mixture, reheating oil between batches.