This slice is one of the things I loved when I was younger. It is now something I still love and make a few times a year. My family truly adores this. Can be morning tea with a cuppa tea or coffee, or a dessert with ice cream and whipped cream delicious. Myself I enjoy it anytime, that is only of it last that long.
- 1 whole lemon finely grated zest and juice of half lemon
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 whole Apples peeled & sliced
- 125 grams butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 whole egg beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- icing sugar dusting slice
- Preheat oven 180C.
- Line a slice tin with baking paper and allow it to hang over the tin.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Cut in butter until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Mix in sugar and egg. Add sufficient milk to mix to a soft dough.
- Knead until smooth.
- Use 2 thirds to roll out to fit prepared tin base.
- Use the other 1 third to roll out for the top.
- Place base piece in tin and spread apple over it.
- Lightly press top piece on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool. Dust with sifted icing sugar. Cut into squares.
- Put apples , lemon zest and lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and cook slowly until apples are soft. Set aside.