Donna's Fried Chicken
Do the first part with the liquid ingredients and add the chicken pieces to marinate in the fridge overnight. To me this dish is worth all the waiting for. Chicken tastes fantastic. Capable cooks.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 5 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- Whisk together, buttermilk, mustard, salt & pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl, and pour into a resealable zip lock bag. Add chicken pieces, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, seal the bag. Marinate in the fridge overnight.
- In another plastic bag combine the flour, baking powder garlic powder and onion powder. Shake to mix thoroughly.
- Transfer one chicken piece at a time into the dry ingredient bag, and shake well to ensure complete coverage. After all chicken pieces are coated, repeat the process by dipping them in the buttermilk marinade and shaking in the dry coating again..
- Heat oil in a large pot or frying pan over medium heat. Using a thermometer, the temperature should read 130 C. Cook chicken in batches until golden brown and the juices run clear. Turn chicken to brown evenly