fruit mince slice
With this recipe I used homemade fruit mince. The recipe for this fruit mince meat is included.
I find that making this as a slice compared to fruit mince pies is so much easier, and less work to do.
Don’t worry if you have a few small patches on the top. It doesn’t effect the final cooking .
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cups currants
1 1/2 cups sultanas
2 apples , peeled and grated
3/4 cup brown sugar
75 grams butter, melted
1/3 cup brandy
1 tsp mixed spice
grated rind and juice of 1 orange
1/3 cup blanched almonds
125 grams butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 to 2 Tbsp milk
icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line 22cm lamington tin with baking paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder in to a bowl. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Mix in second measure of sugar and egg. Add sufficient milk to mix to a soft dough. Knead until smooth. Form into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and roll out each piece to fit prepared tin.
- Place one piece of dough in tin and spread fruit mince meat over it. Lightly press remaining dough on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes . Cool. Dust with sifted icing sugar. Cut into squares.
- Fruit mince meat
- In batches , process the dried fruit and nuts in a food processor. It should be fairly fine, but still have those lovely chunks so you know it is homemade.
- Spoon into a bowl and combine with apple , sugar, spice, butter, brandy and juice.
- Make this fruit mince meat 2 days ahead so to allow the fruit to absorb the brandy and spice.