If you love blueberries, than you will like these low fat muffins.
225 grams / 8 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
115 grams/ 4 oz caster sugar
3 large egg whites
3 Tbsp low fat margarine
150 mls/ 5 fl oz low fat natural yoghurt or blueberry yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla essence
85 grams/ 3 oz fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/ Gas Mark 5. Place 12 paper muffin cases in a muffin tin.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and half of the allspice into a large mixing bowl. Add 6 tablespoons of the caster sugar and mix together.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites together. Add the margarine, yoghurt and vanilla and mix together well, then stir in the fresh blueberries until thoroughly mixed. Add the fruit mixture to the dry ingredients, then gently stir until just combined. Do not over stir the mixture, it is fine to be a little lumpy.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases ( they should be about two thirds full). Mix the remaining sugar with the remaining allspice, then sprinkle over the muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until risen and golden. Remove the muffins from the oven and serve warm, or place them on a wire rack to cool completely.